Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Power of Pondering

What is pondering? I say it is the adult version of day-dreaming. Once the province of great scientific and philosophic minds, pondering should be a daily part of all our lives.

What got me thinking about this principle (pondering) yesterday while I was babysitting, was a two year old lying on his tummy on the trampoline with his head sitting on his elbow raised hands. He was peacefully observing his environment dappled with fall sunlight. I kept thinking about how he must believe the world in his Grammy’s back yard was the best ever! So safe and secure…

I remember sitting like that, all dreamy eyed, thinking of present happy delights, past experiences, and hoped for futures. It was easy to do; I lived within walking distance of two metropolitan parks in Toledo, Ohio. I’ve never minded being solitary and I was only interrupted in my reveries by hunger or impending darkness. There is just something lovely about observing the sky through the lacework of leaves in a wooded canopy. It felt like everything was going to be OK. It is why I crave time in my garden- if no one else will listen to you, the plants will.

So what happened to those days, when you could work out your daily angst by quietly abiding in nature, a cozy bedroom or by a fireplace blaze? Grow up people! You don’t have time for this. You have obligations… responsibilities…people depend on you… there are people to be dominated, wars to be won, not to mention sales to shop before the deals are gone. Somewhere, lost in the land of maturity, is a part of humanity that needs to think before they act, and gain some perspective.

What are the benefits of pondering if we actually take time to do it? Perhaps it is better thought out plans, less impulsive purchases, kinder interactions with those around us, and more openness to inspiration. The world could use a whole lot more of those things! But then, what happens after we’ve pondered and come to a conclusion? It seems there is an inherent call to action. After all, sitting about staring into the sky and never following through probably is day dreaming.

I plan to take a bit more time to ponder what I will do each day and how it will affect not only me, but my family, my community and my world. Call it scheduled, goal oriented, productive, and caring day-dreaming. I’ll call you tomorrow, after I “sleep on it”.

1 comment:

  1. Tania, I love what you wrote. I think that there are a lot of pressures to rush headlong through day after day, trying to fit more and more in to the same number of hours. One begins to get the feeling that being alone with one's thoughts is somehow wasting time. Thank you for reminding us of the value in it!

    ReplyDelete